Safety Check List For Your Next Family Road Trip
Family road trips are an American tradition and can be loads of fun. If you are planning a road trip with your family in the near future your Laughlin area pre-owned cars dealership wants you to think about safety before you get on the road. Here is a complete safety check list to follow.
- Ensure your car is in good working order. Set up a maintenance appointment at least two weeks before you leave.
- Thoroughly clean out your car. You don’t want lose items on board that could fly around if you have to make a sharp turn or slam on your brakes.
- Inspect and update your emergency road kit. The kit should include flashlights, extra batteries, a tire jack, road flares, jumper cables and a pair of work gloves.
- Do a safety seat check. Are your car seats and boosters still a good fit? Are they installed correctly?
- Review safety tips with your kids before leaving like the importance of wearing seatbelts and no horseplay that could distract the driver.
- Plan out where you are going. Even if you plan to use a GPS it is still a good idea to have an idea of the route you will be taking.
- Pack light. The more you weigh down your vehicle the lower your gas mileage will be for the trip.
- Pack a first aid kit.
- The drivers should be well rested when you take off so get a good night’s sleep before you leave.
- Follow the rules of the roadway once underway. This includes driving within the speed limit
- Switch up drivers often and take frequent breaks to help keep drivers alert and refreshed.
- Avoid distractions when behind the wheel, especially cell phone use.