How To Know You Aren't Getting A Lemon
Buying a used car can be kind of like gambling with the second-biggest purchase you’ll ever make in your life, after your home. No one wants to play the odds with that much money, so why don’t more people take steps to protect themselves from buying a lemon? A little due diligence can ensure your money isn’t wasted.
Here are a few ways to protect yourself from buying a lemon when shopping for used cars in Las Vegas.
- Shop with reliability in mind. A little research at home can tell you which makes and models are better known for their reliability. Shopping for a car that’s known to have few problems will dramatically reduce your likelihood of getting a lemon.
- Is the car sold as is or with a warranty? If you’re buying from a dealership, warranty information should be clearly posted, usually in one of the vehicle’s windows. If the vehicle is offered, “as is,” it could have problems.
- Inspect and test-drive the vehicle. Even if you’re not an expert, you should still look the vehicle over and take it for a test drive. Make sure the engine compartment is clean, with no evidence of leaks, and that there is no smoke coming from the tailpipe when the engine is started or revved.
- Ask for maintenance records. Always ask if the previous owner kept their repair records. A paper trail can confirm that the car has been properly maintained, as well as indicate any chronic problems.
- Order reports online. CarFax and other online reports can verify that there are no liens against the car, that there haven’t been any significant accidents, and that the vehicle hasn’t been taken out of state to eliminate a salvage title.
- Have your mechanic take a look. If you have a trusted mechanic, you might want to have him inspect the vehicle, especially if you are buying it from a private seller.
Taking these precautions should protect you from getting a lemon the vast majority of the time. Of course, you can’t always predict what problems an older, higher-mileage car is going to have once you buy it, so buying a car from a dealership that offers a good warranty is especially important. For a great selection of warrantied used cars in Las Vegas, come see our current inventory today at Reliable Auto Sales.