How to Extend the Life of Your Used Car's Tires
Buying new tires is generally a big purchase, but a necessary one. While the expense only comes around so often, there some measures you can take to help lengthen the life of your tires.
Here are some tips that will keep your tires on the road for as long as possible:
- Rotate and Balance: Your tires need to be rotated and balanced every 4,000 to 6,000 miles. This is because if you have a front-wheel drive vehicle, your front tires will wear out twice as quickly as your rear tires. Rotating them extends the life of all four tires.
- Check the Alignment: Every other oil change, check your car’s alignment. Poor alignment causes your car’s tires to wear unevenly, causing them to wear out faster.
- Tire Pressure Check: It’s also important to maintain adequate tire pressure. Make sure your tires are inflated to the manufacturer’s specifications. Underinflated or overinflated tires will wear out more quickly than properly inflated tires. It’s especially important to check your tire pressure when seasonal weather shifts; the Las Vegas heat can be a real factor in tire pressure fluctuations. The heat can cause your tires to overinflate, and this could cause a tire to blow out.
- Look at the Tread: It’s important to regularly check your tires’ tread. Look for uneven wear and low tire tread. Low tire tread is a recipe for unsafe driving; you could skid or even hydroplane in wet weather. A low tire tread typically means it’s time to buy new tires.
- Avoid Debris on the Road: We know that in Vegas there always seems to be debris in the road. Avoid it! Road debris can quickly lead to a punctured tire that needs to be replaced, so be careful on the roads.
Reliable Auto Sales
At Reliable Auto Sales, we are committed to keeping drivers safe and we hope that you will remember to keep yourself and family safe by regularly inspecting your vehicle’s tires. And, if you are in the market for a quality, pre-owned vehicle, please visit us today. Our friendly sales staff can find the right vehicle for you and your family’s needs.